Vilano Beach 50-year Army Corps Beach Project
Project Status: St. Johns County has been collaborating with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers regarding the remediation of the November 2021 nor’easter storm damage. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Jacksonville District staff report determined that the repair qualifies for full federal funding, with no match required from St. Johns County. This report is moving through the Army Corps' internal approval process for consideration. Beach and Dune Walkover Guidelines
Beach updates can be heard on the Beach Services Hotline at 904-209-0331.
- Construction Completed
- De-mobilization Completed
- Dune Planting Completed
- The project extends from the Ocean Villas at Serenata Beach to just north of Nease Beach Front Park.
- Fifty year project with periodic nourishments.
- Rebuilding the dune to the 2015 conditions and widening the flat beach by 60 feet from where it was in 2015.
- The project has been fully approved and funded using a combination of USACE, State, County Tourist Development "Bed Tax", and MSTU funds. Assessment of the MSTU will begin on the November 2020 tax bill.
For more information, please see the Coastal Storm Risk Management Public Handout
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Project Website also has additional information.
For more information, please contact the Coastal Management team at (904) 209-0260, or firstname.lastname@example.org.