Special Events Permits FAQs

Are there any locations on the beach where I don't need a permit?
Permits are required for special events held on any part of St. Johns County's beaches.

Who do I contact to get a permit?
You will need to apply to the agency responsible for the location you choose. Please contact the managing agencies of Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve (State of Florida), Anastasia State Park (State of Florida), City of St Augustine Beach, and Fort Matanzas National Monument (National Park Service), to hold special events at these beaches.

Do I need a permit if there are only going to be a few people attending the wedding?
Permits are required for weddings on all St. Johns County managed beaches no matter how many people are in attendance.

What hours may I hold my event?
During sea turtle nesting season (May 1 – October 31) event items may not be set up before 8:00am and must be removed from the beach by 7:30pm. This includes all chairs, tents, and tables. Outside of sea turtle season, event items may not be left overnight. There is a noise ordinance in effect throughout the entire year.

Can I have a bonfire or tiki torches at my event?
No, open fires are not permitted on St. Johns County Beaches. If you are using charcoal grills, you must take the coals with you when you leave. Please do not place coals in beach garbage cans.

Can I set off fireworks on the beach?
No, fireworks are not permitted on the beach.

Can I release balloons on the beach?
St. Johns County Ordinance 2022-6  prohibits the release of helium, foil, mylar, biodegradable or photodegradable balloons and sky lanterns into the atmosphere. Their release are very impactful on the environment because the balloons inevitably deflate or the sky lanterns land creating litter and possibly causing animals to ingest or become entrapped.

Are permits required for lessons / camps that are held on the beach?
Yes, lessons / camps are required to apply for a special event permit. If the camp is being offered over multiple weeks, all of the confirmed dates may be listed on one application; however each week of camps will be charged a $50.00 fee and issued a separate permit.

Why are fees associated with permit applications?
Special event permit fees, go directly back into public safety and preserving our beaches.

Can we have alcohol on the beach?
Alcohol is not permitted on St. Johns County Beaches.

Does the witness signature on the application need to be signed by a notary?
No, the witness signature does not need to be a notary. If the witness signature is left blank on the application, processing may be delayed.

Need More Information?

Sydney Lindblad
901 Pope Rd
St. Augustine, FL 32082
(904) 209-0344