Social Services

Limited Rental and Utility Assistance

Limited rental and utility assistance is available for St. Johns County residents if you have a documented financial crisis.

Required Documentation

The following completed application and documents are required to process your request. You will need Acrobat Reader or a similar PDF viewer to view application and/or fill out.

  1. Completed St. Johns County Social Services Application (PDF)
  2. Documented hardship: some examples are loss of employment, reduction in hours, car repairs or hospital stay
  3. St Johns County Picture ID or Driver’s License
  4. Social Security card for all members of household
  5. Proof of income for last 30 days
  6. Bank statements for last 30 days
  7. Past due utility bill
  8. 3 day notice or letter from landlord stating the amount due with description of what the total covers and copy of full lease.

Additional Assistance

As this funding is very limited, if you are seeking assistance due to loss of employment we ask that you apply as soon as possible for Unemployment Assistance and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP Food Assistance).

Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly Program (EHEAP) for ages 60 and older

The EHEAP program provides heating/cooling (Electric) bill assistance. Payment is made to the energy vendor or landlord (if utilities are included with the rent) on behalf of the eligible household that meets income and residency criteria.
Home Energy Crisis Assistance is provided to an elder who is in immediate danger of losing home energy. Benefit payment amounts are determined based on a documented home energy crisis and eligibility guidelines:

  • Elder (60+) must be experiencing a verifiable home energy crisis (see below). Note: Payments can be for PAST DUE amounts only.
  • Household income must be below 150% FPL
  • St Johns County Resident
    • Cannot be a resident of a group living facility or a home where cost of residency is subsidized through a program administered by the state;
    • Cannot be a student living in a dormitory
  • Complete the entire EHEAP Application and provide ALL required documentation:
    • Drivers’ License or State Issued ID (over 18); Birth Certificate or School ID (under 18)
    • Social Security Card
    • Bank Statement (Last 30 days)
    • Proof of all income (Note: Bank Statement cannot be used to verify income)
    • Past Due Energy Bill

Here is the EHEAP program application (PDF) that must be completed.

Contact Us

Have questions or need assistance? We are open to assist you! Please call (904) 209-6140.

  • Social Services Main Office – Monday thru Friday, 8am to 5pm
  • Social Services Hastings Office – Tuesday & Thursday, 10am to 5pm

girl playing
View / download the Social Services Brochure. (PDF)

Services Provided to Eligible Residents

  • Referrals to Other Community Agencies
  • DCF Access Community Partner
  • Rental Assistance in times of financial crisis
  • Utility Assistance in times of financial crisis
  • Inpatient Physician and Outpatient Services
  • Specialty Physician Visits
  • Eligibilty Determination for:
    • Solid Waste Tax Exemption
    • Humanitarian Waiver
    • Emergency Management Services Transportation Discount/Write Off


Social Services staff remain up-to-date with services available within the community and will provide you with information and assist you in navigating through the available community resources. Social Services provides assistance to St. Johns County residents under the umbrella of the Health and Human Services Department. Clients must follow through with referrals to other agencies.

Coverage Guidelines

Program services are available for applicants without health insurance coverage. For those with inadequate coverage, the Social Services Department will not supplement or provide assistance for persons who have reached the maximum coverage of their insurance.

County Residency

Applicants for all types of service provided through St. Johns County must be physically residing in the County and provide verification of residency. Persons are considered County residents when they establish and maintain a living arrangement, outside of an institution, which they, or someone responsible for them, consider to be their home. The length of time a person physically resides in the County will not be a determining factor provided they don't maintain a residence in another County or State. Students who are away from home attending school will be considered residents of the County in which their parents live if they are claimed as dependents by their parents for Income Tax purposes.






Florida’s Historic Coast
Images of St. Johns County