Frequently Asked Questions

Service Providers

  • Advanced Disposal – Servicing the southern half of St. Johns County (Service Map).
    It's all take, take, take with us. You put your garbage out. Your garbage gets picked up. With most waste collection, disposal and recycling companies, the job ends there. With Advanced Disposal, that's just the beginning. We won't make a beep. Our job starts early, but we know yours may not. That's why we pride ourselves on being quiet and respectful on our routes. For more information, call (904) 827-1005, read Advanced Disposal Recycling Information, or visit
  • Republic Services – Servicing the northern half of St. Johns County (Service Map).
    When it comes to handling your waste needs, we know how important safe and dependable curbside pickup and disposal are to you. We work to exceed your expectations with quality containers, 99.9% pickup reliability record, and outstanding customer service. Let us help make your life easier and our planet better. For more information, call (904) 825-0991, read Republic Services Recycling Information, or visit


  1. How do I receive a Recycling Cart for my home?
    Your recycling cart should be delivered automatically. If you don't receive one, or need to request a smaller cart, call your service provider. Republic Services is in Northern half of the County, (904) 825-0991. Advanced Disposal is in the Southern half, (904) 827-1005. (Service Map)
  2. Do I have to remove labels from cans when I recycle them?
    No, labels do not have to be removed prior to recycling, however remove caps and rinse the containers.
  3. What can be recycled curbside in St. Johns County?
    Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, telephone books, junk mail, inserts, office paper, copy paper, shredded paper, aluminum & metal cans, file folders, file or packing boxes, brown or gray fiber packages, cartons, juice boxes, cereal boxes, plastic food, beverage, detergent bottles and jugs labeled #1 through #7, empty pill bottles, water bottles, glass bottles & jars (clear, green, & brown), brown paper bags, corrugated cardboard (flattened & cut into 2' x 3' ft sections). For more information, view the Recycling page.
  4. I put my recyclables in a trash bag and they did not pick them up, why?
    The service provider's pick up crews have been specifically told not to pick up any material that is not in a Recycling Cart. This eliminates any potential contamination of recyclable material.

Transfer Stations

  1. What are the hours of operation for Tillman Ridge and Stratton Rd Transfer Station?
    The hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7am to 6pm and Saturday 7am to 1pm.
  2. Are the Transfer Stations closed for holidays?
    Tillman Ridge & Stratton Rd are closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.
  3. Where are the Transfer Stations located?

    Tillman Ridge Transfer Station
    3005 Allen Nease Road, Elkton, FL 32033 (Map)

    Stratton Rd Transfer Station
    250 N Stratton Road, St. Augustine, FL. 32095 (Map)

  4. If I am a resident of St. Johns County can I bring my household waste to Tillman Ridge or Stratton Rd transfer station and what does it cost?
    Residents of St. Johns County can bring items out to Tillman Ridge or Stratton Rd free of charge. You must have a driver's license with your current St. Johns County address. Household Hazardous Waste can be dropped off at either Tillman Ridge or Stratton Rd Transfer Station during operating hours. (See the Residential Garbage Guide for further information). No Construction Debris or Yard Waste is accepted at Tillman Ridge or Stratton Rd.

    Other items such as pressure treated wood are accepted at a per ton rate across the scale of $57.00. For more information about items that fall in this category, please contact us at (904) 827-6980. No credit cards or debit cards are accepted.
  5. I had a shed that fell down, can I dispose of it at Tillman Ridge or Stratton Rd Transfer Station?
    No, Tillman Ridge and Stratton Rd does not accept construction or demolition debris.There are two privately owned facilities located in St. Johns County that accept these items. For additional information please contact St. Marks C&D Disposal Facility at (904) 825-2105 or the Waste Pro Transfer Station at (904) 819-1738.


  1. I have already paid for my trash collection service this year, why is it showing up on my tax bill?
    The Solid Waste Non-Ad Valorem Assessments are paid for in advance of receiving the service. The assessment you see on your tax bill is for next year's service. The service period is from January 1st through December 31st.
  2. Why am I being assessed for more than one unit and what is the collection, recycling, disposal assessment for?
    Each livable home is assessed one assessment unit, each assessment unit consists of three things:
    1. Collection Assessment: $111.00 per year this provides once a week curbside yard trash pick-up and household trash, and as needed pick-up of bulky items. For bulk item pick-up call your hauler prior to setting the item outside for pick-up. Your hauler will schedule a mutually convenient time for pick-up.
    2. Recycling Assessment: $37.00 this provides once a week pick-up of recyclables which are placed in a county provided cart.
    3. Disposal Assessment: $74.00 the purpose of the assessment is to fund the cost, including debt service, of providing. operating, maintaining, and closing sufficient parts or portions of County Landfills available for the disposal of Residential Solid Waste that is, or can reasonably be anticipated to be, produced or generated at Non-Exempt Residential Property.


  1. How do I get a dumpster for my business?
    The Commercial Haulers List has a list of providers that service  homeowners / businesses that are remodeling and need a roll-off container for construction and demolition projects.
  2. I'm remodeling my home and need a large trash container. How do I get one?
    The Construction and Demolition Haulers List has a list of providers that service homeowners / businesses that are remodeling and need a roll-off container for construction and demolition projects.






Transfer Station Hours

Tillman Ridge & Stratton Rd
Transfer Station Hours

Monday – Friday
7 a.m. – 6 p.m.
7 a.m. – 1 p.m.

Holidays Closed:
Thanksgiving, Christmas
New Years Day

For More Information:
(904) 827-6980

Florida’s Historic Coast
Images of St. Johns County