Solid Waste Division
Hurricane Ian Storm Debris Collection Program
In response to impacts from Hurricane Ian, St. Johns County has initiated the Hurricane Ian Debris Collection Program. Residents are encouraged to move all storm debris to the curb as crews will collect debris from the public right-of-way.
St. Johns County requests residents follow the guidelines below to expedite debris removal:
- Place all storm debris in the right-of-way at the curb.
- Debris must be three feet from utility boxes, mailboxes, hydrants, and other obstacles.
- Separate vegetation from all other storm-related debris.
- Debris must be clear of any low-hanging wires or branches.
- No chemicals, bio-waste, or hazardous waste will be collected curbside.
Additionally, residential garbage and recycling collection has resumed its normal schedule. Waste Management and Republic Services are collecting all containerized debris. Due to the increased volume of yard debris caused by Hurricane Ian, residential service may be impacted.
News & Events
Get the latest Solid Waste updates, resources, and more! Sign up for the monthly Solid Waste Newsletter
Miss a Community Collection day? Our transfer stations are open 6 days a week for your convenience.
Need to Clean Out the Medicine Cabinet? Check out the Sheriff's Office Operation Medicine Cabinet pharmaceutical take back program.
The Solid Waste Division will strive to manage waste and recyclable materials as resources for the future benefit of our community with a focus and commitment towards providing residents, commercial businesses, and local governments with efficient, effective, and environmentally conscientious programs and services. Our mission is based upon the delivery of sustainable services that meet the ever-changing solid waste management needs of our fast-growing community, while reducing our dependency on landfills.
The Solid Waste Division
- As part of our solid waste service, our department manages and operates two solid waste transfer stations, Tillman Ridge and Stratton Rd. Both facilities are open for residents and businesses throughout the county.
- Enforces Solid Waste Disposal Ordinances and manages contracts that cover all aspects of garbage, recycling, yard debris, hazardous waste, construction & commercial franchises and interlocal agreements.
- Manages and operates the Tillman Ridge Landfill in conformance with the Environmental Protection Agency and Florida Department of Environmental Protection permits, regulations.
- Oversees the curbside pick-up of solid waste generated by residential households by franchised haulers to ensure a high quality of service is provided to county residents.
- Provides education relating to recycling, litter control and prevention through various clean up, hazardous materials, and state grant programs.
- Manages the hazardous materials program, which helps improve mosquito control, beautification of County lands, and increased protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of St. Johns County.
- Oversees proper disposal of residential and commercial waste, household hazardous waste, white goods and tires, operations and maintenance of the Leachate Collection System, monitoring of groundwater quality and gas migration, and maintenance and monitoring of the closed landfill.