Solid Waste Division
News & Events
St. Johns County Offers Free Disposal of Yard Waste at Tillman Ridge Transfer Station – Residents in the southern portion of St. Johns County may be experiencing a delay in yard waste collection. Due to the national workforce shortage, Advanced Disposal has encountered difficulties completing yard waste routes on scheduled service days. In an effort to provide additional options to the community, residents may bring yard waste to the following location free of charge:
- Tillman Ridge Transfer Station - 3005 Allen Nease Rd, Elkton, FL 32033, drop off hours are from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday.
Please note that drop off service is for St. Johns County residential customers only. No commercial trucks or vehicles will be allowed. In addition, all garbage and recycling routes will remain on schedule. St. Johns County Solid Waste Division is working with Advanced Disposal to ensure yard debris collections are being conducted as quickly as possible. We thank you for your patience as we work diligently to restore the expected level of service to your area. For more information, please call the Solid Waste Division at 904.827.6980.
Miss a Community Collection day? Our transfer stations are open 6 days a week for your convenience.
The Solid Waste Division will strive to manage waste and recyclable materials as resources for the future benefit of our community with a focus and commitment towards providing residents, commercial businesses, and local governments with efficient, effective, and environmentally conscientious programs and services. Our mission is based upon the delivery of sustainable services that meet the ever-changing solid waste management needs of our fast-growing community, while reducing our dependency on landfills.
The Solid Waste Division
- As part of our solid waste service, our department manages and operates two solid waste transfer stations, Tillman Ridge and Stratton Rd. Both facilities are open for residents and businesses throughout the county.
- Enforces Solid Waste Disposal Ordinances and manages contracts that cover all aspects of garbage, recycling, yard debris, hazardous waste, construction & commercial franchises and interlocal agreements.
- Manages and operates the Tillman Ridge Landfill in conformance with the Environmental Protection Agency and Florida Department of Environmental Protection permits, regulations.
- Oversees the curbside pick-up of solid waste generated by residential households by franchised haulers to ensure a high quality of service is provided to county residents.
- Provides education relating to recycling, litter control and prevention through various clean up, hazardous materials, and state grant programs.
- Manages the hazardous materials program, which helps improve mosquito control, beautification of County lands, and increased protection of the health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of St. Johns County.
- Oversees proper disposal of residential and commercial waste, household hazardous waste, white goods and tires, operations and maintenance of the Leachate Collection System, monitoring of groundwater quality and gas migration, and maintenance and monitoring of the closed landfill.
Need to Clean Out the Medicine Cabinet? Check out the Sheriff's Office Operation Medicine Cabinet pharmaceutical take back program.