Fire Rescue FAQ


We have answers. These are some of the most common questions and requests we get. If there is something you need that is not on this list, please call (904) 209-1700.

Business & Residential

My business fire alarm just went off. It is a false alarm. Who do I call to report this?

First, be sure it is a false alarm! Make sure you check for smoke or fire. If it is a false alarm, contact your alarm company and they will notify Fire Rescue. If the fire truck has already left the bay, it is officially a false alarm.

Who do I contact for information about storage/disposal of paint, oil, or other hazardous materials?

For information on the disposal of hazardous materials, please contact Solid Waste at (904) 824-9720.

The fire hydrant in front of my house leaks. Who should I contact?

The fire department is not responsible for fire hydrant maintenance. Please call your water utilities department directly.

Can I plant trees or shrubs around the hydrant on my property?

Required clearances are seven and one half foot (7′ 6″) in front of and to the side of the fire hydrant, with a four foot (4′) clearance to the rear of the hydrant. (NFPA 1:

What is the closest fire station and / or hydrant to my residence or business?

Our Insurance Ratingpage has information about this. If you reside within the City of St. Augustine, please call (904) 825-1098 for more information.

How do I obtain fire station information for my insurance company?

Please contact our office at (904) 209-1740 for specific information about stations.

Do I need a permit to burn yard trash?

Yes. The Division of Forestry is responsible for issuing permits. You can contact them at (386) 446-6786. Contact the Fire Marshal’s office at (904) 209-1740 for more information.

Who can inspect or install my child’s car seat?

Please contact the Tax Collector’s office for more information at (904) 209-2250

How do I pay for a permit?

Permits are paid for at the Building Services cashier desk. Checks can be made out to St. Johns County BOCC. They also accept VISA, MasterCard and American Express. The Building Services’ Is open Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 4:30pm and their number is (904) 827-6800.

Public Education

Do you give CPR and First Aid classes?

Yes. Check our Heartsaver Courses for more information.

How do I set up a fire-related educational program, visit a fire station, or arrange a school visit?

Contact Jenn Hampton at (904) 209-1779 or see our Public Education section.