Planning and Zoning


Planning allows the County to look into its future and plan for its population, employment, infrastructure, social, and cultural growth based upon community visions, population projections, past development trends, and State growth management rules specific to Florida. An important part of planning is assessing what we have done in the past and determining success or failure and how to proceed.

The Planning and Zoning Division prepares and maintains the County’s Comprehensive Plan as well as studies, programs, and projects thereby required.

The Planning and Zoning Division also reviews all land use applications, including Comprehensive Plan Amendments, Re-zoning, Variances, Special Use Permits, and Planned Unit Development for consistency with the Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Code, and Ponte Vedra Zoning District Regulations.

Interactive Tools and Trackers

PUD Residential Activity App  – Learn more about residential growth in St. Johns County within Planned Unit Development (PUD) zoning districts with the PUD Residential Activity Overview application. Outlined land areas on the map show the approved County PUD districts, which includes residential entitlements for development.  To learn about a specific PUD, click the project number of the PUD to view the Application Submittal Management link.

Development Tracker Interactive Mapping – Track development in and around St. Johns County neighborhoods, including rezoning applications and special use permits. Development Tracker is a map of the County with permitting activity mapped by color-coded dots. Click the dots to view project descriptions and status. 

Land Development Regulations

2025 and Future Comprehensive Plans

The purpose of the Comprehensive Plan is to effectively manage growth and development by designating areas of anticipated future development which satisfy demand where feasible, in a cost-efficient and environmentally acceptable manner.

Land Development Code

The Land Development Code contains most of the land development regulations governing the development of property within unincorporated St. Johns County. 

Ponte Vedra Zoning District Regulations

Contains the zoning regulations for properties located within the Ponte Vedra Zoning District.

Land Use

Buying a House? Want to keep livestock? Build a deck or retaining wall? Knowing what is allowable and what is not can save time and money. The resources on this page will assist you in making informed decisions about your current property or potential purchases.


Our staff is committed to helping citizens with questions related to planning and zoning issues that are within County jurisdiction. So that we can assist you efficiently, please provide the following information when you contact us:

  • Strap number (Parcel Identification Number) listed in the St. Johns County Property Appraiser’s records, and located on the current tax bill.
  • Property owner’s name as it appears in current tax rolls.
  • Address of property.
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Public Meetings



Can I use my RV camper or Fifth wheel for a temporary living facility while my home is being built?

RV campers and Fifth wheel vehicles are recognized as motor vehicles and are not permitted for living purpose unless parked in a properly zoned camp ground or park.

What is the maximum building height for St. Johns County?

Thirty-five feet, except in special planned unit developments where regulations may vary.

Can I permit my garage or other accessory structures before I build my home?

You may not build an accessory structure until you have obtained the development permits required for the main structure.

What is the fencing regulation for St. Johns County?

In general, for residentially zoned property any fence, wall, or hedge shall not exceed six (6) feet, nor obstruct the view of oncoming traffic in each direction and provided that no fence, wall, or hedge shall exceed four (4) feet within the front twenty-five (25) feet of the property line. On corner lots the fence may be six (6) feet on the second frontage. In all other districts, such as OR (Open Rural) fences do not have a height restriction but it must not be over four (4) feet at the sight distance triangle (corner) of intersecting streets. Additional restrictions may apply to Special Districts as described in Land Development Code Article III.

What are the procedures for a Planning and Zoning Agency hearing?

Special uses, temporary uses and zoning variances require approval by the Planning and Zoning Agency. Generally, the process will take approximately sixty (60) days. The Agency meets the first and third Thursday of each month. You must have a complete application all documents submitted; (no open comments) one month prior to the hearing dates. Once an application has reached completed status it will be set for the next available Planning and Zoning hearing.

  • Fees may vary according to the applications type
  • Obtain the application from the Zoning Office
  • Proof of ownership and/or proper authorization from the land owner is required
  • Must acquire property owners list from the current tax roll of all owners within a three-hundred (300) foot radius of your property
  • Prepare legal size envelopes for each property owner listed on the current tax roll (stamped and addressed)
  • Provide a site plan of the location (to scale) showing all proposed and existing structures
  • Attach a project narrative, if applicable

What is a special use permit?

A use described by the Land Development Code that requires approval by the Planning and Zoning Agency in a public hearing. Some examples are: a mobile home in a residential district, animal boarding, kennels, day care in a residential district, borrow pits in open rural, churches in residential district, special care housing, etc.

What are the setbacks for accessory uses?

Accessory uses are required to meet the minimum structure setbacks, unless it is separated from the main structure by ten (10) feet or more, then the required setback is three (3) feet from the side and rear lot lines. It cannot be located in any required front yard.

May I operate my business from my home?

If it is a home office only with no employees and it is designated residential. There are restrictions on signage, advertising and no material can be stored outside the home. If a homeowners association governs property, approval must be acquired by the association in writing.

May I take care of children in my home?

A family day care, which limits the number of children to those of two (2) unrelated families, (defined by F.S.) four (4) up to twelve (12) months of age; three (3) up to twelve (12) months and others up to maximum six (6); maximum six (6) older than twelve (12) months; maximum ten (10), with five (5) pre-school and of those two (2) under twelve (12) months.

How many people can live in a single family residence?

A single family residence can be occupied by no more than three (3) unrelated persons.

What are residential setbacks?

RS-1 Residential Single Family

  • Front - 30'
  • Sides - 10'
  • Rear - 15'

RS-2 & RS-3 Residential Single Family

  • Front - 25'
  • Sides - 8'
  • Rear - 10'

OR - Open Rural

  • Front - 25'
  • Sides - 10'
  • Rear - 10'

RMH - Residential Mobile Home

  • Front - 20'
  • Sides - 8'
  • Rear - 10'

RMH (S) - Residential Mobile Home/Single Family

  • Front - 25'
  • Sides - 8'
  • Rear - 10'

Where are the setbacks measured?

Setbacks are measured to the eaves or any portion of a structure thirty inches (30'') off-grade. There is an allowance for certain projections such as bay windows.

What are fencing requirements for pools, above ground and below ground?

All pools are required to be fenced unless the yard is fenced. Above ground, if wall is over four (4) feet and has removable steps, it does not require fencing. Fencing must be a minimum four (4) feet with a self-latching gate.

How many animals can I have in residential areas?

Residential districts are limited to no more than five (5) household pets. Additional pets require special use approval.